Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Elections and the Intellectually Lazy

As a curve-bustin', co-ed oglin', preppie killin', non-trad university student, I get access to that study in minimal competence, the university newspaper. It's about as good Tuesday morning shitter reading as your likely to find.

So I'm reading the obligatory "You ought to vote" article. And what do I see? A quote from some graduate student who says that she's not going to vote because she's only seen the negative ads.

To which I say, "What the fuck are you babbling about?"

If you don't want to vote, at least be honest about it. Just say, "I'm not going to vote because I can't be bothered to take advantage of the hundreds of computers on campus to become at least marginally informed." Or you could say, "I'm not going to vote because I'm too intellectually lazy." Or even, "I'm not going to vote because I'm an irresponsible twit." Or even, "I'm not going to vote because voting is for losers."

But for the love of pete, don't blame the candidates and their ads.

Fuck the negative ads. Politics has been a bloody, nasty business since the first cavemen got together to figure out who decides which direction to hunt in. And I'll guarantee you that we'd find cave drawings showing a caveman fucking an elk.

Get over it. You have access to all the information you could possibly need to make a decision. Take a couple of hours and look it over. Form an opinion, get your lazy ass to the polls and vote. I don't give a shit who you vote FOR. Just vote.

And if you can't be bothered to make the effort to become informed, then maybe you should just stay home. But don't tell me that it's the candidates fault.

No comments: